Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Road Trip!



Call everyone you know—Jeannie is camping! Okay, so our “tent” does have a six speed manual transmission in place of a zipper fly opening, but still, she is getting in touch with her National Geographic side. To be honest, our home for these seven days in New Zealand is nothing short of remarkable. At 2.7 meters tall (about 9 ft for those north of the hemisphere), our abode is classified as a 2-berth camper van, and is replete with fridge, dual stove top, dining table, double bed, flat screen television, DVD player, toilet, shower…everything but the kitchen sink—oh wait, there is a kitchen sink. So Jeannie’s not exactly eating grubs from the underbellies of mossy logs, but as a firm believer in baby steps, I am embracing every minute of this experience.


We became acquainted with Lau Lau, our affectionate moniker for the Ford Freedom diesel van, in Auckland on Tuesday morning. Kea Campers is the outfitter, and they have over delivered on our expectations to this point. A cheery gent, named John, picked us up from our airport hotel the morning after our arrival, and provided us with a free forty minute lift to the depot. A sturdy man with a crooked and easy grin, John used every minute of those forty to help us plan our weeklong itinerary. John has guided three-week trips across the country more than sixty times. I was his astute mentee, scribbling his wisdom in shorthand on the back of a white envelope. By the time we arrived at the depot we were proper Kiwis, ready explore the wonders of the North and South Islands.


What we weren’t ready for was driving a manual two-ton vehicle down the opposite side of the street. (Full disclosure for those who don’t know: I didn’t learn to drive a stick shift until last summer, and when I did, it certainly wasn’t with all traffic rules completely reversed!) And here’s a note to those who haven’t yet tried, changing gears with your left hand is an entirely different undertaking. I once spent two months brushing my teeth with my left hand (“just in case”), but I am far from ambidextrous. And yet, it is amazing what you can accomplish when you have no alternative—and an encouraging wife. Flustered, and captured in a moment of doubt, Jeannie fixed on me and confessed her trust in my ability, actually saying she believes there is nothing I cannot do. Never having felt quite so manly, suddenly I was confident, and away we went, bumping down the left hand side of the road, drawing honks from fellow Kiwis.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome entry Case. In a different life, I could see you being John... giving tips and mapping out trips for excited travelers with as much energy about their adventure as they had themselves.
    Question: Is there a different place where you're posting more pictures? Most I've seen are from Hawaii slideshow and fyi- comments didnt post in there. Maybe let us know where to be looking?

    Keep em comin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, Great Blogs!! Thanks for taking the time to share your incredible adventure. Driving in the land down under is a bit challenging and part of the fun. You will find the Kiwi's are very patient people, however, it may help if you give them a heads-up on the road. An American Flag attached to your " Love Shack" on wheels should do the trick. Looking forward to hearing what you two think of NZ!
    Love,
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself getting up earlier each morning and rushing to the computer to see if there is a new posting -- better than any newspaper!! Thank you, Casey, for sharing your adventures in such an entertaining way -- we are all enjoying the ride immensely! All my love to you and your beautiful bride... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've always wanted to visit Middle Earth. Say hi to Frodo for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Casey and Jeannie,
    This blog is the best ever! Casey, you are doing such a great job keeping us informed. When you get back to the states you might want to think about writing a book. You are truly talented!
    Love and miss you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello you beautiful newlyweds,
    Thanks for including us in your amazing adventure. Great Blog! Jeannie, I'm proud of how you're branching out and 'going with the flow' of car camping. And, Casey, you CAN do anything you put your mind to! I admire both of you immensely:)
    With love, Paulene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kia Ora! I can just picture the two of you in your camper in Rotarua! You willlove New Zealand and the kiwis!
    Don and I just returned from a wonderful road trip and were so excitied to come home and see your blog. Thanks for including us in your amazing adventure. Wrap yourselves in all the cultures. You will never be the same!
    Love,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait a tick... I thought MY name was Lau Lau!! I guess I should be proud to share my name with such a cool van! I miss you guys so much it hurts. I love reading about Jeannie's baby steps! So proud of you, sis! And Casey, you should write a travel book. Really. I think it's your calling. Love you guys. Keep 'em coming! Phone call soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet Casey driving a stick shift with reverse traffic rules is still better then Jeannie's every day driving back here at home! (Ok..and probably better then mine too!). Love you guys!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys really should find a way to publish this record of your incredible journey. It is fabulous. Enjoy, be happy and be safe. Love you a lot. Aunt Joy

    ReplyDelete